Friday, October 15, 2010

Clouds in my coffee

Funny how our attitudes can change so drastically about certain things. Things like spending $4.00 on a cup of coffee. I can clearly recall the days when I was anti-Starbucks or any other chain of coffee joints with their $3.00 lattes. Their overpriced beverages set me off like an old coot yelling at kids to get off my lawn.
Since then, I have started giving more thought to little expenditures like my morning coffee. Who am I supporting? What am I getting out of the experience besides a jolt of energy and a boost to my mental capacities? This morning's experience was a perfect example.
Cloud Seven Cafe is a new addition to Jamison Square in the old Sip & Kranz space. Sip & Kranz closed shortly after Lovejoy Bakery came in. The suspicion of course is that they could no longer compete as Lovejoy had lured patrons with their amazing breads, pastries, sandwiches, etc. Signs posted on the windows stated that a new Vietnamese restaurant would be opening, so it came as a surprise when, on the day of the anticipated opening, Cloud Seven emerged. Locals wondered how they would be able to compete when Sip & Kranz struggled. Well, they seem to be doing just fine.
On the weekends, patrons fill the tables on the square with their dogs and their newspapers and enjoy Kettleman's Bagels (boiled NY style), rich Intelligentsia coffee and divine pastry provided by Nuvrei whose bakery is located just down NW Tenth Avenue. In the early mornings during the week, it is quieter, and that's when the charm of this little cafe really shows.
This morning, I stopped in for coffee and a scone. The coffee was a freshly brewed Kenya roast, and they serve their coffee using the pour over method so it takes a couple minutes for the drip. The scone was a savory biscuit with red pepper (not too much), cayenne, green onion and cheddar cheese, each ingredient distinguishable but blending perfectly. My bill came to a whopping $7.25. Extravagant? Not really. After all, I got more than coffee and a scone. While I waited, I enjoyed friendly conversation, contemporary art provided by local artists, and I got to glance at today's New York Times and Oregonian splayed out on a counter in a newsgripper.
It's these little touches that help get the day off to a good start. The folks at Cloud Seven claim to be inspired by the coffeehouses of Vienna. So the fact that I now want to visit an actual Vienna coffeehouse is a testament to Cloud Seven's warm service and excellent products.
Stop in and see for yourself. Cloud Seven is located at 901 NW 10th Avenue right on Jamison Square, and you can learn more about them on their informative website at http://www.cloudsevencafe.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment